Wednesday 15 December 2010

Pax Britannia: Blood Royal

How's this for a review?

Christmas is a time for lots of things and, for me, one of those things is to go back and revisit a favourite author or two when the weather outside is frightful... Jonathan Green sits firmly on that particular list with his ‘Pax Britannia’ series being just the right reading for this time of year...

The ‘Pax Britannia’ books are guaranteed to take you away from the tedium of everyday living and dump you right in the middle of a steampunk London where every shadow holds a knife and enemies of the Empire plot against the throne. You can tell that I highly recommend these books...

This brings me onto ‘Blood Royal’; a book that I’ve been saving up to read... I had my reasons for putting ‘Blood Royal’ to one side until now... Having said all that though, I still found myself wondering I hadn’t picked this book up a lot earlier. It’s one hell of an entertaining ride and I’m not going to wait as long before picking the next book up!

Usually, when an author throws everything (he can get his hands on) at the plot it will be at the overall expense of the story. Not everything will stick, for one thing, and that inevitably leads to a fragmented book that doesn’t flow anywhere near as well as it should. Not so with Jonathan Green and ‘Blood Royal’...

Just like watching your favourite ‘Indiana Jones’ film on Christmas afternoon (‘Temple of Doom’ if you’re asking...) ‘Blood Royal’ has it all going on and at such a speed that you are almost physically compelled to keep reading...

Blood Royal’ is another thoroughly entertaining read from Green that will set the standard for the rest of the books in this series. I’m hoping for more of the same from ‘Dark Side’ and will let you know how it goes...

Nine and a Half out of Ten

Nine and a Half out of Ten? Nine and a Half out of Ten! Fantastic!

No comments: